Friday, August 13, 2010

08.13.2010: Let's be real...

I mentioned that one of the coolest parts of the All-Star break was meeting people in the South division because we never see them with the new schedule. Unfortunately, after the All-Star break, the North-South segregation was back in effect.

Relationships remain a big part of this league. For the players, they meet fellow players from around the country and establish, for some, lifelong friendships. Other also connect with their host families to a special degree, like David Allbritton and the Deuth family. Same goes for coaches. Same goes for front office staff. And, same goes for broadcasters.

I have really enjoyed getting to know the various broadcasters around the North division. A few of them have become good friends--people I hope to maintain relationships with well beyond their and my time in this league.

I could single all of them out and write a little paragraph on each but that would sort of defeat the purpose. Instead, I'll make it more relevant.

The first broadcaster I met was Travis Lucian, from St. Cloud. Dustin sent me to St. Cloud to spend a day with Travis so that he could show me certain things and answer questions I had that Dustin wasn't able to, because they were really just questions a broadcaster would know. This is Travis' fourth year in the league so he has tons of experience. He really taught me a lot in our two or three hour meeting that day, which included a stop at Chipotle. I was so thankful for all of his help and it made my transition into the league so much easier.

Then, I got the chance to listen to him call games via the league's website. I love listening to his broadcasts. He is very, very talented.

The best part, though, is when we play each other...He and I, I feel like, go about things similarly. We both take our jobs very seriously and try go about things the right way--the professional way. When one comes to the other's ballpark, we usually have a good chat, followed by a game-relevant discussion to exchange information. Today, we go to St. Cloud for our double-header. It will be the last time we play St. Cloud this season and, for the summer, the last time I see Travis...Before you think I am getting all sappy, I am not. But, I do appreciate people and appreciate relationships and my relationship with Travis is no exception. I hope to keep in touch with him as he progresses through the broadcasting world...and, hopefully, with some hard work on my end, maybe I can join him.

Hot Sports Opinion: I am supposed to finish off my USC discussion but there really isn't much more to say, to be frank...

I have some HSO's about this whole K-Rod situation in which he was charged with assaulting his father-in-law...

-This is not the first time he has showed signs of anger-management issues (remember his blowup in New York with Brian Bruney, former Yankees reliever, to bring up one of a few?)

-Reagrdless of whether you believe the Mets are or are not in the race, this is a bit bigger than baseball...

-Carlos Zambrano...the Cubs lets his anger management issues go a few steps too far and who knows if he will ever be the same...and I don't necessarily mean as a pitcher.

-Get K-Rod help. Medical help. He needs it. Not because he is a huge investment worth taking care of, but because we are all human beings. At the bottom of your heart, do you enjoy every time Carlos Zambrano blows up? Do you enjoy every time Milton Bradley blows up? Did you enjoy Milton's tear-jerking interview after he asked the Mariners for help? No. Let's not let this happen to another player.

No comments:

Post a Comment