Saturday, July 24, 2010

07.24.2010: Farewell, Ray!

I have played sports all my life at a very high and competitive level. Like most budding young athletes, I wanted to play professional sports. At 21, it doesn't seem likely I will accomplish my professional dreams (possible comeback?), but I have had the fortune (misfortune if they beat me in the playoffs) of playing with and against several current or soon-to-be professional athletes. What did almost all of these guys have in common? They had "it." What is "it?" I don't know, but it's theirs. I think it is a combination of raw talent, a strong work ethic, and a mental toughness that overcomes any and all obstacles--but I don't think that even covers it all. I also think that "it" is different from guy-to-guy.

There are some professional athletes that truly do not have "it" and they simply work their way to the top--though those cases are rare and don't often have staying power. I am not saying professional athletes don't work hard, but a lot of the pro athletes that people laud for "working" their way to the pros, have tons and tons of raw talent with it, but because they are smaller in height or stature, apparently it doesn't count for the same. These guys that have "it" have a first class ticket to the professional ranks. I don't think that off-the-field problems can get in the way because I feel like a part of this "it" package is the knowledge and awareness to stay out of self induced trouble. The only thing that can get in their way? Injury or incredibly bad luck.

This summer I have broadcasted a guy that truly has "it." That guy? Ray Black. The very hard throwing right-handed reliever has dominated on the field, converting all eight of his save opportunities, climbing near the top of the league's leaderboard in that category, despite having the closer role for only half of the season. He has been in jams and faced some of the league's best hitters, always coming out on top. I will never forget his long battle with Steve Nyisztor, the shortstop for St. Cloud who is in the discussion for League MVP. The tying run was at third with only one out. Nyisztor kept battling and battling but on the tenth pitch of the at-bat, Ray blew a 97 mph fastball by the All-Star.

Ray has the personality, the charisma, and the confidence of someone who simply knows he is better than you and isn't afraid to show it. He also has a screw loose upstairs--and I mean that in the best of ways. I don't mean that to suggest he has a disability or anything in a negative fashion. But, he is crazy. He doesn't back down from anyone or any situation. He simply doesn't care. He has the perfect mentality for a closer. In Ray's mind, there is no one he can't get out-and I mean no one, MLB players included. And you know what? I wouldn't challenge him on that one. Oh, and not to mention, his work ethic is pretty unreal.

Ray Black has "it." You know what else he has? Awful luck. Most pitchers sustain tons and tons of arm injuries to keep them from reaching their potential but Ray has been plagued by a handful of "normal person" injuries. Yeah, he had Tommy John in high school but he has come out of that throwing in the mid-to-high 90's. He had a bad knee injury, a hand injury, and a mid-body injury, among others. Last night, while warming up to close out the Lunkers 6-2 win over the Beetles, something didn't feel right in his arm and his night ended before he even threw a pitch.

There are just above 3 weeks left in the season and, at this point, even the most minor of injuries will end a guy's season. Unfortunately, such is the case for Ray, who will shut it down for the remainder of the summer to rest his arm. When Ray walked off the mound last night I was sick to my stomach. Not because I was pretty sure it was the last time Ray Black would take the hill in between the lines this summer. Not because he my favorite player to watch. Because he deserves better--someone with that much talent, that hard of a work ethic, and that big of a heart, deserves better.

Ray will bounce back. Not because he has "it," because injuries still derail guys that have "it," but because Ray has something "more." Heck, if I can't define "it," I am not even going to try to define "more." If his bad luck rides off into the sunset, Ray Black will be the first player in Lunkers history to make it to the Major Leagues.

I admire Ray for all he has been through. People seem to always hear about the pitchers that, now, come back better from Tommy John. What you don't hear are the large group of pitchers who don't. Also, they don't just have surgery and get better...they work their absolute tail off to get back to that point. Ray has gone through much more than that, though, and he is still fighting. He still has the swagger and he still has the work ethic. He's got something else...I don't know what it is...but whatever it is, he has "it"...but he's also got something much "more."

While Ray Black, the closer, will be missed a ton by the Lunkers team as they look to hold onto the first place in the North Division's 2nd half standings, it is without question that Ray Black, the person and the teammate, will be missed much more.


For Tomorrow: HSO's on LeBron James and the Overall Champion in the Young Corps Debate

No comments:

Post a Comment