Saturday, September 17, 2011

09.17.2011: Pioneer League Champions

That's all she wrote. Only one playoff team in every sport in every league gets to end their season with a win. It's nice to be that team. What a way to end the season...as Champions. In a few days I will put up a post with a whole bunch of media from the final game.

I thought about individually thanking just about everyone in this final blog but decided against it. Individually, I will be thanking people on my own time. As a group, however, I want to thank you all for such an amazing experience this summer. Each and every person I spoke to or communicated with played a role and will forever be a part of the memories from this summer I will forever cherish.

It feels like yesterday I was saying goodbye to a world I called home for four great years--USC. On May 29, the night of our final game versus Washington State, I said by to my LA family, the USC Baseball team. That next morning, after making one last round of goodbyes, I began a drive with my father from the City of Angels to Great Falls, the city of...Waterfalls?

I had just graduated a few weeks earlier. Most of my friends were going to play baseball, make a Europe trip or, maybe go home. I was going farther away from home to a destination filled with so much uncertainty. I was nervous, yet excited; confused, yet eager; and definitely hungry--and I mean for food.

Back in December of '10, I committed to the Voyagers. Instead of holding out and weighing potential options, I took no chances and accepted the offer of the first team that expressed interest. Making that initial step into affiliated baseball is very difficult. There was no guarantee anyone else would offer, but I was not going to wait until March to find out. So, much like I chose a college, I blindly agreed to become the Voice of the Voyagers.

Great Falls was unlike any placed I had lived. There was a bit of a culture shock. Not that I couldn't handle it, but I had to get used to it. As I drove around town and saw a few things my first day, my nerves increased. I just wanted the season to begin, but I had 3 weeks.

My first night had great potential. The Mavericks and the Heat played game 1 of the NBA Championship. The Heath won. Whoops. I am big on signs and symbols, and I was worried the anger I felt towards the television set at the Fairfield Inn that night was the same anger I would feel all summer.

As stupid as it might seem, though, the Mavericks played a huge part in my transition. It served as a ground to get to know my co-workers, watching every game with fellow front office members, Scott and Erik. It is a mystery why they let me watch with them as I paced, fidgeted, talked...to myself, screamed, yelled, and cheered. But, they did, I and appreciate that. Ultimately, of course, the Mavericks won. Not to sound unappreciative of certain events in my life or immature, but witnessing the Mavericks win the NBA Championship was absolutely amazing, and, if anything, that statement underexaggerates my emotions towards that event. Regardless, the Mavericks games helped me make a transition to Great Falls.

Then came the MLB Draft. It was awesome following it and seeing where my friends went. I was pretty psyched early on in Day 2 when a pair of Trojans--Logan Odom and Austin Wood--were drafted by the Angels. All I wanted was one Trojan to be in the league and there, I had two. The day progressed and then, Cal catcher, Chadd Krist--a guy I was good friends with from my time spent broadcasting last summer--was drafted by the White Sox. I was sure Chadd would be a Voyager, though he never did end up signing. Seven rounds later turned out to be one of the most important events of the summer. After just texting him moments before, I saw that the White Sox drafted Joseph De Pinto. Without even considering the possibility that he would be assigned to Bristol, I was ecstatic that one of my best friends was going to be in Great Falls with me.

I was so fortunate for those two events to take place as I began an extended period of time in a city unlike any other I had lived around people I did not know, beginning my post-college life. It made things so much easier and, it turns out, those two positive events were symbolic of the summer, rather than that game 1 loss.

As I look back on this summer, I will always have a smile and very fond memories. This was my first summer as a professional broadcaster. This was the first Championship team I have ever been a part of. Good English suggests I need a third 'This was' sentence to make it sound good, but I just can't think of one. Anyway, I learned so much this summer, more than I can express in this blog.

Feel free to contact me at any time. You can reach me at radio@gfvoyagers.com or on twitter, @j_sandler.

On Friday I will begin a trek with dad and my car back to Dallas. Along the way I will stop in Denver to see a friend and go to a Rockies game. On Sunday I will get back to Dallas and go right to see my nephew, Chase. On Monday, work begins. As I head back, though, I will undoubtedly feel nervous, yet excited; confused, yet eager; and, the whole trip without question, 100% hungry.

Great Falls was not a Europe trip, it was not Dallas or Los Angeles, but, for the summer, it was home. I wouldn't trade my experience for anything else.

Goodbye, Baseball. Hello, Pioneer League Champions.

No comments:

Post a Comment