Tuesday, May 25, 2010

05.24.2010: First Day On the Job

Before I start, you gotta check out this baseball clip: Stick around for the replay after the initial play, but while its going on, follow Nyjer Morgan, the centerfielder for the Washington Nationals (the team in the field). Check out this first video, and then to get full effect of his tantrum, check out the second one...





...Keep in mind, as he was throwing his glove, Adam Jones of the Baltimore Orioles was running the bases, en route to an inside-the-park home run.

Moving on...I woke up this morning and found myself laying in bed, mentally preparing to go to work...at 4:30 AM. I don't know if I was excited or what, but I was a bit premature. I like getting places early, but that would have been way too early. It wouldn't have been the first time.

When my parents got divorced, my dad still picked me up and took me to school every day before I got my license. I loved our morning car rides. One morning I woke up and jumped in the shower, using it just as much to wake up as to clean my body. I was pretty tired. Afterwards, brushed my teeth, picked out my clothes...you know, the usual. I then proceeded to wait outside my garage for my dad. It was pretty cold and unusually dark. It was before daylight savings so mornings were typically dark, but there was no sign of the sun. I check my cellphone...it was 1:15 AM!

Anyway, the first day of work was fun. I got to see the field and sit in the press box, the place I will call home for 35 games this season. I scoped out my spot in the press box and already have a plan as to how everything is going to be set up.

Work was interesting. I spent most of the working on a long and tedious project. In so doing, I sat next to my boss, Dustin, the team's general manager. As the general manager of a Northwoods League team, there is a ton of responsibility. I witnessed Dustin sell tickets, order concessions, organize host families, plan group nights, and ensure that visiting opponents had sufficient breakfasts at their hotels, among an assortment of other tasks.

The coolest part is seeing or hearing Dustin talk to people of Brainerd with whom he has established relationships from his previous year in town. One of the obvious benefits of a small town is that you have an easier time building relationships with your fans. The Lunkers is all this town has to call their own, athletically, and some of the families, especially the young kids, take great pride in that. Especially the host families, those generous enough to open up their homes for college students for the summer. They treat these players like their own kids and most are our most loyal fans, attending each game, cheering hard for the team, especially their son--or, for some, sons--for the summer.

So far my free time has been spent reading The Yankee Years and playing video games. I get the feeling that once the season gets going and I am constantly on the road, video game playing will be few and far between. For now, I am content to relive my middle school and high school years.

Happy Birthday Shout Outs to my friends Ben Jaffe and Jimmy Barrata!

Until tomorrow...

9 DAYS UNTIL THE SEASON!

No comments:

Post a Comment