Monday, May 24, 2010

5.23.2010: On the Lake

Somewhere along a vacant road earlier this morning (Sunday, May 23rd) I decided I was going to try this blogging thing. I am spending an entire summer away from family, away from my home, and in an environment completely foreign to me: small town America. What better way to keep everyone posted on chronicle my experiences then by blogging, right? So, here it goes...

Sunday May 23rd,

After one night's sleep in my new apartment, so far so good. I think I can do this small town thing. Most importantly, the people seem nice. Wait until they figure out I am a Texan who spends half of the year in California. I always get the sense people in America have bad impressions of people from New York, Texas, and California upon first impression without any reason. Maybe its because people from those states are awesome. Or, maybe its because of comments like that.

Supposed to go Nate's cabin by the lake today. Nate is one of my roommates. Our traveling party is supposed to also include Jake, my other roommate and Dustin, our boss. All of us our young guys. Dustin is the most senior member at 24.

I have decided that today is going to be an off day from pre-season preparation. I am going to be working my ass off for the next 3 months and for my own sanity, need some time to settle in.

...

Got back from the lake. It was fun. Different from the lakes in Dallas and the surrounding areas. Those houses in Dallas that I have been to (read: private school bubble) are mansions that have tons of water toys. This particular lake house--or, cabin to be specific--was cozy and simple, with two pontoons for fishing, mainly. We watched some Twins baseball and then went out on the lake. I am not the world's greatest fisherman but I caught the afternoon's first fish: apparently a large mouth bass. I also caught the afternoon's third fish shortly after.I don't think that in the remaining three-plus hours I caught another fish. Fishing is fun and relaxing but I can only do it for a couple of hours, tops.

Afterwards we went back, watched some basketball and baseball at our boss's apartment a few buildings over (same complex) and had some dinner. I am enjoying my time with my co-workers. They are good people. Despite my attempt to do so, a day off was just not in store. I decided to try get some work done that night while hanging out with my friends. I need to get ready for the season.

10 DAYS UNTIL OPENING DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment