Thursday, May 27, 2010

05.26.2010: Double Standards

Most of my time in the office has been spent preparing for the upcoming season from a broadcasters' perspective. While delving into the crazy world of the internet, taking endless notes of teams, players, the league, and anything else of relevance, The Ticket (Dallas sports radio station), ESPN Radio, and ESPN Radio Podcasts provide my daily soundtrack.

Two days ago, while listening to ESPN's "Baseball Today" podcast, hosted jointly by Eric Karabell and Seth Everett, an interesting debate commenced. Karabell, a Philadelphia native, announced that he was rooting endlessly for the Phillies to break up Boston pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka's no-hitter, even after it climbed into the eighth inning. Everett, his co-host, was shocked, wondering why Karabell would root against the potential history of a no-hitter, instead choosing his favorite team to get a hit in a game they were likely to lose anyway. I ask this question to my incredibly large readership: If you were in attendance at a sporting event and someone was nearing a historical performance at the expense of your favorite team, would you root for your team to get in the way of history (even if it didn't mean winning the game) or would you root for history to occur?

I don't even have to think twice. If I am IN ATTENDANCE, I am rooting for history, unless the game occurs in the playoffs or directly effects my team's ability to qualify for the playoffs. No-hitter after the sixth inning against my team? C'mon pitcher! On television it is a different story. There is something special about being there in person.

Which made me think about the sporting events I have attended and the coolest or most historic of them all. I have been in attendance for a few milestone achievements: A.C. Green breaking the consecutive games played streak, Brett Hull's 500th goal, two games at Lambeau Field, and Sammy Sosa's 600th HR to say the least. I have been to several NBA playoff games, including two NBA Finals games. I have been to even more epic NHL playoff games, including several Stanley Cup Finals games. The most historic game I have attended, though it worked totally against my favor, was Game 6 of the 2000 Stanley Cup Finals when, in overtime, Jason Arnott, then of the Devils (ironically a Star the year after) scored the series clinching goal and Lord Stanley's Cup was won right in front of my eyes. It killed me to watch my Stars' season come to an end unfavorably, but in terms of historical significance, the game was special. For personal reasons, Game 1 of the 2006 NBA Finals between the Heat and my Mavericks was very special. I have been a Mavericks fan my whole life and was an incredibly loyal fan dating back to my earliest of memories in the early 1990's, when Dallas was the laughing stalk of professional sports. Watching them in the Finals was a very neat for me, as I had seen the franchise come full-circle. Their overall loss that year still burns. The two games at Lambeau Field, getting to watch my favorite player, Brett Favre play, were special as well.

Another question to my loyal readership...what is the most special game you have been to?

Small Town Observation: I have two gas cards, an Exxon/Mobil and Chevron/Texaco card, but there is not a name brand station anywhere to be found. All of the gas stations are underground local or small-chain companies.

Hot Sports Opinion: Imagine if a story broke today about Rajon Rondo, in the midst of a playoff battle, complaining about his contract. Would he not be facing intense public scrutiny for worrying about his contract near the climax of the season? So why is Phil Jackson getting a free pass!? Why, when is team is playing lackluster basketball, is Phil Jackson allowed to comment about his potential future with OTHER TEAMS without any scrutiny? I don't get it. He is a great coach--one of the best of all-time, but he is not the best. Statistically, no coach has done more, but a ton of coaches have achieved remarkable success without even half of the talent. Let's face it, if Los Angeles wins, it is not because they overachieved and had to make signficant strides throughout the season. That's not Jackson's fault, but I also don't think he has the balls to leave Los Angeles for a team that might need to overachieve to win the NBA Championship.

Pick of the Day: Phoenix +7.5 @ LA. I don't think Phoenix wins, but I think they play Los Angeles tough.

0-1

Shout Outs: Travis Lucian, Wes Sharp, and the rest of the front office with the St. Cloud River Bats. Especially Travis, a season vet of The Northwoods League, he took time out of his day to help me out and talk to me a bit about broadcasting in the league. The Brainerd and St. Cloud organizations are owned by the same person, Joel Sutherland, and the two share a very good, working relationship. Each organization's ability to bounce ideas off each other and work together is really neat.

Also, a shout out to the USC Trojans Baseball team. It had been over 5 years since the team beat UC-Irvine, a recent powerhouse, before this season. On Tuesday, the team defeated UC-Irvine for the second time this year, completing the season sweep. It has been a rough rollercoaster for USC this year, but they keep fighting and playing hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment