Monday, August 1, 2011

08.01.2011: Off on the Right Foot

How's it? It is nice to be writing after such an exciting game yesterday. And, for the record, I plan on updating the blog with either posts or videos on a more regular basis in the coming half.


The second half got underway with some fireworks. Mark Haddow's opposite field home run was the first walk-off blast of the season for the Voyagers. The squad now has two walk-off victories, both on Sundays versus Missoula (June 26th, Martin Medina collected a walk-off single).



After being around Pac-10 baseball for four years and now half a season of Rookie Ball, Mark Haddow has some of the best, smoothest, opposite power I've seen. Yes, I watch Major League Baseball and I am not trying to compare Mark with the game's best active opposite field home run hitter, Ryan Howard, or Roberto Clemente, who hit over 50% of his career home runs to the opposite field. But Mark, who showed in the first game of the season he has no problem pulling balls deep out of the yard, is so tough to pitch to because he can beat you on both sides of the plate.


Let's hope yesterday's ballgame, which included a great start from Jarrett Casey, a great outing from Joe Dvorsky out of the pen, and a great performance by Jimmy Jacquot behind the dish, is a harbinger of what's to come in the second half.


------------------


OK, so I made mention of this a few weeks ago but tomorrow (Tuesday) I will join Sam Phippen in his Day 1-post start workout. All players are on a unique and rigorous workout schedule to strengthen, maintain, and recover. Starting pitchers follow a routine of workouts in the days between starts. The workout the day after a start is the most tiring and taxing and, between my desire to stay in shape and a bit of challenge from S&C Coach, Tim Rodmaker, I have agreed to join Sam, who is regarded by his coaches and teammates as one of the organization's hardest workers. The workout will last around two hours and will include cardio, core, and other exercises. Tim has agreed to document the workout for you all to not only see me struggle, but to get an idea of what pitchers do in between starts. I am excited for it to be posted later in the week.


------------------


I thought this video was pretty funny...



------------------


I think I am going to start featuring a song in each post. It will be G-Rated and, if I keep up with the reasoning behind choosing today's song, I am not going to choose Top 10 hits and, if I do, they will be from year's ago. As I have noted, I am ADD. Not sure if there is a connection, but I love ALL types of music from slow pop stuff to hardcore rap to classic rock to country and more. Today's song, to me, is very calming. When it doesn't randomly play during my shuffle, I will listen to it when I am doing work or in a very pensive mood. Anyway, it's "Collide" by Howie Day.



----------------------


The transaction frenzy that has been the sports world for the last week has been awesome. I have been glued to twitter, hearing all the rumors--5% of which actually make the transition from rumor to actuality--in both the football and baseball worlds.


A few HSO's (Hot Sports Opinions)...


-I think Nnamdi Asomugha is a very good cornerback, but I think he is a tad bit overrated. Maybe I am wrong, I am not guaranteeing anything at all. But just because you do not get attacked by opposing quarterbacks does not always mean YOU are the reason why, when, in some instances, it just might mean that the cornerback opposite you, or the rest of the team's coverage, is just that weak. Football has some Sabermetric-like stats for players and among those for cornerbacks, Asomugha does not necessarily rank atop the league.


Below is a little blurb written up by ESPN NFL Insider, Aaron Schatz:


"Here's the biggest question about Asomugha: Just how much stock do you put in the fact that opponents don't throw in his direction?

Asomugha's advanced charting stats aren't as impressive as you might think. He really struggled in 2009: 69th in adjusted success rate and 62nd in adjusted yards per pass, according to Football Outsiders charting. He was better last season: ninth in adjusted success rate, 25th in adjusted yards per pass. But still, that's not performing at a Darrelle Revis level.

On the other hand, while quarterbacks have been surprisingly willing to throw to receivers covered by Revis, they have completely avoided throwing to receivers covered by Asomugha. We have Asomugha with 31 targets in 14 games last season. No other cornerback who started at least 12 games had fewer than 54 targets.

The gap between Asomugha and other starting cornerbacks has been that big for at least three seasons."

-I have always liked Carson Palmer, even before I knew I was going to USC. And I am not going to get into holdouts because I am not, nor have I ever been a professional athlete put in that situation, but it bugs me that he is threatening to "retire" if he does not get traded. No, no you are not going to "retire." Why not just tell it like it is and say, I am going to sit out and not partake in any team activities and then when I get the opportunity, I am going to go elsewhere. Saying you are going to retire is soooo Brett Favre and too dramatic.

-Michael Vick has made the Eagles a hotspot destination. From the time he was at Virginia Tech, Michael Vick has been this sports phenomenon admired by, not only fans, but his peers. People want to be a part of it. I love dogs a ton, but I was excited to Vick thrive last year. I believe people deserve second chances. He made a mistake. He learned. So far, he has delivered on the gridiron, but more importantly, he has delivered off of the field as well...

-...And I am happy that Plaxico Burress has found a home. As dumb as it was on his part, the guy was put in jail for basically having a gun and being an idiot about it. I do not know his intention with the weapon beyond self-defense, but I do know that people commit far more severe crimes. Hopefully he can turn things around, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment