Monday, August 8, 2011

08.08.2011: Working Out With Sam Phippen...

Ok so 6 days ago I took on the challenge of doing Sam Phippen's post-start, day 1 workout--the toughest between-start workout for a pitcher.


This all came about when, while walking through the hall while the pitchers were doing some medicine ball exercises a few weeks back, I picked up a medicine ball and joined in for two minutes. I wasn't trying to mock them or anything and they knew that but, remember...me, ADD...it looked fun. So Tim Rodmaker quickly brought up the challenge and without hesitation, I agreed. We decided it would be best to do it at home and so that's why we waited until earlier last week because we needed the team to be at home following a start of his.


Anyway, below is a video of the experience filmed by Tim Rodmaker and unprofessionally edited by me. The video does not fully capture everything. I did not want the filming to get in the way of the workout at all, so, while conducting interviews and doing interactive stuff between exercises was an option, by my own preference, I did not want to hold up either Sam or Tim and instead, wanted the workout to proceed as normally as possible. Before you watch, read through the below information which I feel is somewhat pertinent...I don't know, maybe it isn't


Why Sam? Being fully immersed in the organization's workout program as a returner, he carries out the workout to the most extreme degree. the younger guys, in most cases, do similar exercises but do not do as many reps or sets. Regardless of my performance, doing it with Sam would allow people a full idea of what goes on. Additionally, players and coaches alike recognize Sam as, if not the hardest, one of the hardest workers not only on the Voyagers but in the organization.


What did the workout consist of? Lasting around two hours, we started with a run close to 3 miles. We then did various lower body exercises composing a leg circuit. Afterwards were a series of rotation and twist exercises with a medicine ball. Following that were shoulders and back, which composed of weight-room exercises. Finally, we did a series of ankle/hip exercises before finishing with more rotation and twist exercises and abs. The idea is that you break as little as you need to between sets/circuits.


My expectations? I still think of myself as an athlete and a hard worker. I was not/am not in the best shape, but I was only mildly concerned for my life.


My goal? To finish the workout. I did not expect to keep up with Sam on the run (he is 6'9" and runs like a gazelle...he finished a good five minutes before both myself and Tim Rodmaker, who ran with me, otherwise would have likely finished a minute or so ahead.) But, I am a competitor and was determined to get through the workout.


How Did I Do? I got through the workout but I did not do the same amount of sets/reps as Sam in some exercises. Tim said that it is unrealistic to expect me to get through the a "Sam workout" without being a part of the program for at least a summer. Several of the players, particularly those fresh out of college, do not come close to executing the workout to the same degree as Sam. For instance, the first thing we did after the run were leg circuits. Sam completes three circuits while wearing a 50-pound vest. Some of the college guys just recently advanced past one circuit and are now expected to do two without any kind of a weighted vest. For the leg circuits, I did two without a vest.


The Aftermath? Sam and I went to grab some lunch and hung out. After sitting down for thirty minutes I was so sore getting up. I felt some kind of soreness for the next three days. The day of the workout, it was incredibly difficult going up and down the press box stairs. I have some weird thing that prevents me from walking up stairs--nothing medical, just me being weird. For whatever reason I always have to jog up and down stairs--don't know why. Anyway, the stairs were brutal.


What You Should Take From It? Pitchers do way more than just throw and relax for a few days. While most people like to point out an identify a guy like David Wells who looks like he sits on his couch and drinks beers in between starts, pitchers, Wells included, are in great shape (and have to be to be successful). They all stick to a dedicated workout program and it is very taxing. Every organization has different philosophies about the best way to keep a pitcher healthy and in shape, but all of these exercises are geared towards maintaining, strengthening, and recovering a pitcher's arm and their level of conditioning.


I want to thank Tim and Sam for agreeing to take part in this.


Without further ado...


3 comments:

  1. way to go sam! id never imagine a pitcher having to work that hard to just throw a ball! jeez, i guess ill have to up my game to get to where you are! love ya big ((literally) cuzz! Noah phippen

    great to see your smiling face and hear your voice Sam. I am so impressed!! Take care now, love Ingrid Phippen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was going to do that workout today but since you guys just did it in just over 7 minutes its just not enough for me - ha ha! OMG, just another great affirmation for all the rest of us. What a hard working, dedicated human being you are. We love this journey - Colleen and Tommie

    ReplyDelete