Monday, June 6, 2011

06.06.2012: Hitting the Ground Running

So, I decided to get this blog back up and running again.


First and foremost, I want to take this opportunity to informally introduce myself to Great Falls community and the fans of the Great Falls Voyagers. In advance, I'd like to thank you for allowing me into your homes and, more specifically, into your ears as I broadcast the games this summer. It is truly an honor and a privilege (not lip service, I genuinely mean this) to be a part of the Great Falls Voyagers organization.


Last summer I started blogging for the first time in my life as a broadcasted for the Brainerd Lakes Area Lunkers of the Northwoods League, a summer collegiate league similar to that of its more popular counterpart, the Cape Cod League. I have spent a majority of my life in two major cities: Dallas and Los Angeles, so I thought it would be neat to chronicle not only my first summer as a full-time broadcaster, but my first summer in a small-town. Alas, the blog.


Before I get headstrong into the blog, I'd thought I'd start out with my goals and some rules of the blog.


1. With the blog I will post my thoughts, opinions, and certainly the inside scoop and updates on the team from my own unique perspective as the radio voice. The blogs will include anecdotes and, once the players arrive, plenty of multimedia like interviews and pictures to help you get to know the team. I love communication and feedback and I hope for my blog to evoke discussion and banter.


2. Everything printed in this blog will be 100% honest. I will not sugarcoat anything or print anything I do not firmly believe. If I do not feel a point or a topic is appropriate, then I will simply not address it.


3. Why the name "Crunch Time" exactly? No deep, profound reason. I believe one of the best compliments and athlete can receive is earning the reputation of someone who plays his/her best or steps up in the biggest games and the biggest situations or...in Crunch Time.


4. I am not perfect and neither is my grammar. I am ADD so it was pretty much impossible for me to pay attention to all those grammar rules in 6th grade. Instead of taking notes on these rules, I perfected the art of bubble and block lettering.


And now, a bit of an introduction:


5. I am a die-hard sports fan and this extends well beyond the "major sports." To me, there is something special about competition--something special about having and a winner and a loser.


6. I am 22 years old from Dallas, TX and a proud recent graduate of the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, CA.


7. I am a first generation American. My parents, Alan and Sheryl, come from South Africa, though they have been in the US for over 30 years. My oldest brother, Darryn (34) was born in South Africa, while my other brother, Jason (32) was in just outside of New York. I consider my dad to be my hero and my brothers as my best friends. Of those not blood related, I consider my former classmate and teammate, Benjamin as my best friend--I bring this up only because both he and his family are very special people to me and have really impacted me. I am also lucky to have a loving step-mom, Frada, three step-siblings, Kim, Tracy, and Lonnie (all older, but within 5 years), and the best sister-in-law I could ask for, Amy. 15 months ago I became the proud Uncle of my Little Man, Chase David Sandler (son of Jason and Amy).


8. In no particular order, my true passions in life are sports, spending time with my family and truly close friends, and making people around me happy/seeing them smile.


9. My favorite teams: Texas Rangers, Dallas Mavericks, Dallas Stars, Green Bay Packers (There is a story behind this but I am not a bandwagon fan: I have been a fan since I can remember and certainly well before this past January, I have made the Lambeau Field pilgrimmage twice, and it isn't like the Cowboys were bad when I was growing up as they were a powerhouse in the 90's), the Tottenham Hotspurs, the USC Trojans, and, of course, every American's favorite team: USA.


10. I have had the biggest crush on Blake Lively since high school and I hope to meet her one day.


11. If you want to know a little bit more about me, check out the article written by Scott Mansch of the Great Falls Tribune:


I am going to leave it at this for now. I look forward to sharing my thoughts and experience with you all throughout the summer.


As I mentioned above, I encourage communication and feedback, especially if you have any suggestions or ideas for the direction of the blog. Feel free to reach me via email (sandlerj1@gmail.com) or at my Twitter (@j_sandler).


No comments:

Post a Comment