Monday, June 27, 2011

06.27.2011: Walking Off a Slump

Great way to snap the skid yesterday afternoon! Walk off wins are always fun to be a part of. I remember last year with the team I was with, I botched the first walk off call I had...That's always an awful feeling as a broadcaster, when you botch a big play that helps define the game. I still haven't forgiven myself for spacing out on the Patino HR the other day.


I am really happy for Martin. He is a good kid who, as he identified in the interview which will air during the pre-game show today, was frustrated with his struggles at the plate for the first few games.


In my conversations with the guys when discussing their offensive successes through the first few games, they are always quick to give credit to hitting coach, Gary Ward, and I think that says it a lot. It isn't like they are giving me an answer and then saying, "Oh, and I need to give credit to Gary Ward." They say it right off the bat, whether its a mechanical adjustment or a simple message to help them with the mental side. Gary wasn't initially supposed to come here but I think these hitters are very fortunate that he did.


On the bus right now to Helena as I write this. Some pretty neat views as I look out to my right...



In case anyone was wondering about the bus dynamic, its pretty fun and relaxed. Jerry Benoit is the captain of the ship sitting up front. The first three rows on either side are occupied by staff. On the left side, Brian Drahman (Pitching Coach) occupies the first row, with Tim Rodmaker (S&C) in the row behind him--sleeping, currently--and James Kruk (Trainer) behind him. On the right side is Ryan Newman (manager), Gary Ward (Hitting Coach), and myself, which positions me across from Kruk. We have a pretty good time up front. Most of the players share a row with someone. A lot of them rest, listen to music, and some of them read. Scott Snodgress is currently reading Tony Dungy's most recent book.


We usually watch movies on the trip and I think I established myself as the movie provider. I love movies and have a collection of around 200 (Building it back up after having my collection stolen a few years back). While I provide the options, I do not dare make the choices on my own. A roundtable up front agrees on a selection and we take requests from the back.


Gonna take a bit of a rest myself while listening to a recording of Jerry Howarth, voice of the Blue Jays--one of the best there is in my book.


Let's make it two, today!


No comments:

Post a Comment