Sunday, June 6, 2010

06.06.2010: A Bump in the Road

Tonight did not go as planned. First off, the team didn't play well...committing two errors and striking out 12 times is never a good combination. The undefeated season is no longer. Worse, though, is that my broadcast did not go well, either. My first sub-par broadcast of the young season, I'd say. I can't expect to be perfect--no broadcaster is--but the ones that make it are remarkably consistent. Listeners do not even notice the mistakes they make in their "bad broadcasts," because they are subtle and few and far between. I hope to more and more approach that level of consistency this summer.

I think it is fitting that my worst game comes on the night before I planned to write about John Wooden, arguably the greatest coach in any sport, at any level, of all time. Wooden was an incredibly wise man. It is funny, because on facebook, several people put "Wooden-isms" as their statuses to pay tribute to the coach. I saw a bunch of different Wooden-related statuses and did not see a single "Wooden-ism" twice. I was able to learn the book full of maxims in a class this past semester, probably my biggest takeaway in any class in college. I am reminded that, despite my poor performance tonight: "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." I can either bitch and mope about my performance tonight and let it get in my head, or take the mistakes I made and improve upon them...I plan on doing option B.

I am going to go to St. Cloud separately today in order to get to the park earlier to have more time to settle in and get comfortable for the broadcast. I plan on listening to my broadcast on the way over so hopefully it was at least exciting enough that I don't lull myself to sleep.

Hot Sports Opinion of the Day: The hype and anticipation of Stephen Strasburg is overshadowing a much more impressive story: Mike Leake's rookie season. Leake, a rookie from Arizona State, did not have the baseball world tracking his signing status following the Cincinnati Reds making him their first round pick. He signed, played half a season of minor league baseball, and made the Reds' rotation out of Spring Training. Strasburg could have done the same, but he and his camp didn't sign him until the very last hour, ruining his chance of progressing through the Nationals ranks last summer.

While the world is tracking Strasburg's every move, eagerly anticipating his major league debut, Mike Leake is 5-0 with a 2.22 ERA, playing for a suprise team and playing a major role in their 2010 success. Not to mention, the former two-way player, Leake is hitting .417.

Do I think Leake is better? No, but his major league career is far more than Strasburg's non-existent one at this point. Is all of Strasburg's hype his fault? No, he can't help that he was one of the most dominant collegiate pitchers of all time. All I am saying is take a look around and give Mike Leake some props...he, right now, is the best player out of the 2009 Rule 4 MLB Amateur Draft.

Sports Pick of the Day: Los Angeles (-6) over Boston. The Lakers are and have always been the most talented team in the league...they are demonstrating it in front of our eyes...

Record: 6-3
Streak: W1

No comments:

Post a Comment