Thursday, June 17, 2010

06.18.2010: Freakin' Lakers

I am excited that the more interactive, behind-the-scenes features are finally rolling. They will only keep coming...

On the bus back from Alexandria. At one point we didn't think we were going to play, with heavy storms in the forecasts, but, with a 30-minute delay, baseball was played. It seems like everytime the forecasts suggests we won't play, we do...and we lose.

Stephen Wickens scored to cap off Monday's 4-3, come-from-behind walk-off victory against Mankato...no one has scored since then. One off day and two shutouts later and the team is again three games under .500.

It's frustrating because, while I am a broadcaster and work hard to hide any bias on air, I want these guys to win so badly. I am and have always been very loyal to everything. I work for the Lunkers. I am around the players. I can't help but pull for them. Sometimes I think I get more upset when the team loses than some of the players do, though everyone handles situations differently.

Anyway, The Hangover is playing...it's a great movie, but I feel like I have seen it so much. There are still plenty of lines/scenes I still find as funny now as I did the first time.

We are back home tomorrow, hopefully in front of a strong, supportive crowd. We are playing St. Cloud in a three-game series. We share the same owner, so our relationship as staff is very friendly, but I feel like, if I were a player, I would want to beat them even more due to the common ground. And, even as a staff member, deep down I want to have that bragging right over the Bats. We are 0-2 versus them this season, but who says we can't sweep?

I am pumped for the United States game tomorrow morning. It stunk watching South Africa lose, so hopefully the Red, White, and Blue can get a big win. The tie with England puts them in the driver's seat to advance past the group stage, but they are not talented enough to assume victory over lesser opponents. The Spain loss was a fluke, but the U.S.A. have made losing to lesser opponents in big games habitual. I have been around losing way too much of late to watch them suffer a loss in the Cup.

Not thrilled at all that the Lakers won, by the way. Anyone who dares to compare Kobe to Jordan, realize Jordan would not have failed to show up in a game 7 like Kobe did...tons of respect to Kobe...we are watching one of the best players in NBA history without question...but he is no Jordan...Jordan had something extra...something special. It's something that can't be quantified or characterized...but it's something unique and special that very few athletes in any sport have.

With that being said, Kobe did find a way to help his team win. He recognized he wasn't shooting and became a rebounding force. He was a lockdown defender, as usual, and, at the end of the day, his team came out on top. He deserves plenty of credit for that. Some people simply find ways to win. Kobe is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment