Tuesday, June 8, 2010

06.08.2010: Coming Up...

Major Announcement: Starting in the next few days, the blog is going to add a media component that gives fans a more in-depth look into the Lunkers both off of the field and on. These are great kids, and more than just baseball players, and I would love to demonstrate this.

It was a tough loss for the team tonight. Trying to put an end to a two-game losing streak, the team was gave up 3 runs in the eighth, surrendering a 3-1 lead. It was a tough one to swallow...

There is one thing I would like to improve with the broadcasts, and it is solely up to the audience...I want to more participation and feedback. I encourage comments and concerns and I also welcome questions about the game or the team! The booth email is media@lunkersbaseball.com, so feel free to email at anytime!

On my end, I felt like the broadcast was strong. I set three specific goals for this game in particular: I wanted to keep a perfect scorebook, implement two phrases in announcing a ball or strike, and not talk without direction. I feel like I made great strides in accomplishing these goals.

It is interesting dynamic broadcasting for a particular team every day. Especially in my situation, where my role with the team extends just beyond an "unbiased media member." I get to the park everyday between 7:30 and 8:30 in the morning and fulfill my role as the Director of Media Relations as well as any other job the team needs to get done. I am a part of the front office and work hard to make sure the Lunkers brand is as strong as possible. Because of this, I become more and more a fan of the team...especially as I am around the players so frequently and get to know how great they are as people...Broadcasting a tough loss like this one, especially when the team is trying to break a losing skid, is not easy. I feel like I did a great job of not projecting my emotions in my broadcast, delivering the calls for WIllmar's eighth inning rally with the excitement they deserved.

We watched Little Big League on the way to Willmar and Meet the Parents on the way back. The bus rides are becoming more lively by the day as the guys are starting to get to know each other more. Five more players arrive tomorrow. I am excited to meet them. I spoke to most of the players signed to full-year contracts on the phone during the Spring, in an attempt to get to know them and to get material for broadcasts. It is cool getting to finally meet these guys in person.

Hot Sports Opinion of the Day: Three days ago, with the passing of John Wooden, I thought about who the best current college basketball coach is. After putting a lot of thought into it, I decided that if I could have one coach lead my program, it would be Tom Izzo (It is only a coincidence that he, two days after my internal discussion, was offered the Cavaliers coaching job).

Admittedly, I am a huge Tar Heels fan, but I did strongly consider Coach K--as a matter of fact, he is probably third on my list...and yes, he is ahead of Roy Williams. Number two? Probably Rick Pitino. He seems to make winning a part of his program's culture wherever he goes. John Calipari does the same, but there is something about him that rubs me the wrong way. I don't deny the incredible level of success he's achieved at his various stops, but I have just never been a huge fan of his.

I believe that Tom Izzo's consistency is absolutely insane. Six Final Four appearances in 12 years? Are you kidding me!? I don't know that people realize how tough that is...I don't even think I realize it. I also don't think people remember that he didn't lead six teams to the Final Four that were all supposed to be there--he has led a couple of five seeds to the Final Four.

Another thing about Izzo is that I think he gets just as much, if not more, out of his players than anyone else in the country because he is one of the best player developers in the game. It's one thing to recruit five-star, NBA ready, studs to be the stars of your team. It's another thing to construct a team void of superstars, but full of players who are three times as good when they leave than when they arrived.

And, while I feel like Coach K's relationships are much more publicized--at not fault of his--Tom Izzo seems to develop lifelong bonds with all of his players. Heck, he named one of his sons after Mateen Cleaves. I have seen (through the TV, of course) demonstrate all sorts of emotions when talking about a player, and some adversity he is facing, or standing up for a player in the face of the media.

Name one superstar Tom Izzo has coached...ever. Jason Richardson? He is the closest but I wouldn't at all call him a superstar.

Sports Pick of the Day: The Blackhawks will close out the Flyers in game 6 on the road.

Record: 6-4
Streak: L1

1 comment:

  1. We can't wait for the media component! Keep up the great writing.

    ReplyDelete